The Center for Career Development (CCD) is here to assist you with all aspects of career planning-from identifying skills, interests and values, exploring majors and occupations, perfecting your resume and cover letter, practicing your interviewing skills, to gaining real-world experience through internships and employment. Whether you are beginning your college experience or are nearing graduation, we are your first step for all things career-related.
Below, you will find a wide variety of services and resources to help you navigate your way through the career development process.
Schedule an Appointment
Students can schedule an appointment to meet with a career counselor/advisor to discuss/formulate career plans, review resumes and cover letters, learn job search strategies, practice interview skills, investigate career options, find internships and jobs, and plan and prepare for graduate school. Contact the Center for Career Development to schedule an appointment, 443-885-3110.
Choosing a Major
Choosing a major/career is an important decision that will shape your college education and subsequent career path. When choosing a major, consider the following:
· What keeps your interest and motivation?
· What challenges you?
· What reflects your values? Abilities? Skills?
· What is a realistic and attainable goal?
Before declaring a major, you should spend time researching different majors in a variety of fields, talking with academic advisors/career counselors, professionals in the field(s) you are considering, professors and other students.
MyPlan.com helps students and professionals plan more fulfilling lives by making well-informed decisions about their education and careers. Whether you're choosing a major, planning ahead for your first career, or thinking about making a career change,
MyPlan.com can help you explore options and bring clarity and insight into figuring out what's right for you. Highlights include career assessments (Personality, Interests, Values), career database, salary calculator, video library and much more...No cost to you, simply follow the login instructions below.
My Next Move is an interactive tool for job seekers and students to learn more about their career options. My Next Move has tasks, skills, salary information, and more for over 900 different careers. Users can find careers through keyword search; by browsing industries that employ different types of workers; or through the O*NET Interest Profiler, a tool that offers personalized career suggestions based on a person's interests and level of work experience.
Career Fairs & Events
The CCD hosts three major events each year to bring students and employers face to face to explore opportunities for career employment as well as internships. To stay abreast of career fairs and career-related events, login to your eBear account or like us on FACEBOOK.
Explore Majors and Occupations
Wondering what you can do with your major? Not sure how college, careers and skills relate?
The staff from the University of Tennessee have created a website that links majors and careers. This helpful site lists dozens of majors and offers common career areas that follow, along with typical employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities.
Keep in mind that the majors and areas of employment, employers & strategies represent typical career paths associated with each major and not a comprehensive list. Consider also exploring information and websites from other majors to help you learn about a wider range of career opportunities.
Link to What Can I do With This Major?
Search for Jobs and Internships
It is imperative for today's college students to participate in multiple internships. An internship connects the abstract theories learned in the classroom with the world-of-work. It allows you the opportunity to "test" out the career to confirm it is the perfect fit for you while enhancing your resume, making you more competitive for the job search.
Below are sites to search for jobs and internships:
- eBear-Students and alumni can find full-time jobs and internships, schedule on-campus interviews, and register for upcoming events. Contact the Center for Career Development to request an account, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Baltimore Collegetown-Internships in and around the Baltimore Metropolitan area
- BRAC Internship Information Center: Internships with the military and defense contractors.
- Career Athletes- The nation's largest online network where athletes go to get jobs
- Diversity Jobs-finds job listings from company career pages, other job boards, newspapers and associations.
- Idealist- Search opportunities with non-profit organizations.
- Indeed-Search for internships, part-time and full-time employment
- Intern Abroad- Want to travel Search employment opportunities outside of the United States of America
- Nemnet- Paving the way for minorities to be employed
- SnagaJob- Search for part-time and seasonal employment.
- USAJOBS- The Federal Government's official one-stop source for federal jobs and employment information.
Job Search Assistance
eBear is our on-line system for you to publish your resume, apply for internships and jobs, and participate in the on-campus recruitment program.
- Provides an online bulletin board for job postings.
- Stores resumes and cover letters in your personal account so that you can apply for positions even when you are away from your home computer.
- Offers the nation-wide postings of CareerBuilder.com, a partner of eRecruiting.
- Houses a Calendar which lists important CCD and other career-related events and workshops. Students can often sign up online to reserve a space for these events.
Please email the Center for Career Development to request an eBear account, email@example.com
Need to create a resume and/or cover letter?
Optimal Resume is tool to help you create your resume. This program allows you to develop or style your resume and cover letter, build a portfolio online, and complete a virtual mock interview. Sample descriptions are provided for many positions in a wide range of industries to help you best discuss your experiences. Please email the Center for Career Development to request an access code, firstname.lastname@example.org. Click HERE for more information.
Big Interview is an online system that combines training AND practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence. You have at your disposal a variety of tools including:
• Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and dozens of industries
• A database of thousands of interview questions with tips on how to answer them
• The ability to rate and share your interview answers for feedback
• A comprehensive video training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
• A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
Click HERE for login instructions.
Graduate and Professional School Assistance
We provide graduate and professional school counseling and materials that can help you to research and apply for graduate school, prepare for entrance exams, and create personal statements and essays.
- Maryland Higher Education Commission
- Peterson's Graduate Schools
- PhDs - Find the Right Graduate School
- U.S. News - Best Colleges
The National Association of Colleges and Employers offers the most accurate compensation data available. Click here to access the NACE Salary Calculator Center.
Share Your Story
We like to hear how our students are doing so we can share your success story. Tell us about your Internship Experience or your New Job upon graduation.