Moving Costs- The Moving Expenses Reimbursement Process
Procedure for Moving Expenses Reimbursement
- A letter authorizing the reimbursement of moving expenses, signed by the University's President, will be forwarded to the candidate along with the letter of appointment and a copy of the Moving Expense Reimbursement documents* from the area vice president. A copy of the letter of authorization will be sent to the Vice President for Finance and Management.
- If the position is accepted, the candidate must sign the moving expense authorization letter and return it to the area Vice President. The Vice President’s office will forward a copy of the executed moving expense letter to the Vice President for Finance and Management and the Director of Human Resources.
- In order to be reimbursed for the approved moving expenses, the candidate must complete the Moving Expense Reimbursement Form and submit it to the area Vice President with original receipts within 60 days after the moving date. If the expenses are to be paid from a grant or auxiliary source, fund certification must be obtained from the Office of Sponsored Programs or the Office of Business Services.
- The completed Moving Expense Reimbursement Form with original receipts will be authorized by the area Vice President and forwarded to the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Management for final review and approval.
- The Office of the Vice President for Finance and Management will forward the original of the approved Moving Expense Reimbursement Form with receipts to the Office of the Comptroller so that the reimbursement amount can be processed for payment. Copies of the Moving Expense Reimbursement Form will be sent to the Human Resources Department.
- After processing the reimbursement, the Comptroller’s Office will complete Central Payroll Bureau’s Employee Moving Expense Report and forward it to the Central Payroll Bureau of the State of Maryland.
- The moving expense documents can be obtained from the travel section of the University's web site.