University Honors Program Scholarships
Beginning with the class of Honors students admitted for Fall 2013, the University Honors Program will introduce a new scholarship structure, which will be described below. Students admitted prior to Fall 2013 will remain under the scholarship system in place when they entered the University. The terms of those scholarships, however, will expire at the conclusion of the Spring 2016 semester.
Please note that the qualifications listed for each scholarship category are the minimum required for consideration. Applicants in all scholarship categories must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) but do not have to demonstrate financial need. Several other factors will also be used to determine eligibility for a scholarship; and these are determined by the University Honors Program Admission Committee, in consultation with the Director of the University Honors Program.
Scholarships for First-year Students:
1. The Martin D. Jenkins Scholarship
- Provides up to the full amount of tuition and fees, room and board
- $1000 a year for books
- H.S. GPA of 3.50 or higher
- SAT score 1300 or higher/ACT score of 27 or higher for Maryland residents (1400 SAT/29 ACT for non-residents)
2. The Frederick Douglass Scholarship
- Provides up to the full amount for tuition and fees
- $500 a year for books
- H.S. GPA of 3.30-3.49
- SAT score 1200 or higher/ACT score of 24 or higher for Maryland residents (1300 SAT/27 ACT for non-residents)
3. The Harriet Tubman Honors Associate Award
- Provides up to $2500 a semester for tuition and fees
- H.S. GPA of 3.00-3.29
- SAT score 1000 or higher/ACT score of 22 or higher for Maryland residents (1100 SAT/24 ACT for non-residents)
Associates who achieve a 3.30 cumulative GPA at the end of the first year can apply to become Douglas Scholars for the next academic year.
Scholarships for Community College Transfer Students:
1. The Clayton Stansbury Bridge Grant (NEW for FALL 2014!)
- Provides up to $2,000 a semester for tuition and fees
- 3.00 GPA
- 24+ credits from Maryland Community Colleges
2. The Parren J. Mitchell Scholarship (NEW for FALL 2014!)
- Provides up to $5000 a semester for tuition and fees
- Minimum 3.50 GPA and 56 credits or AA/AS from a Maryland Community College
Scholarships for Continuing Students:
Continuing Students who have completed 30-56 credits and maintained a minimum GPA of 3.30 are encouraged to apply for a limited number of Honors scholarships. The number of scholarships each year will depend upon available funding. The application for continuing students will be posted on the UHP website(www.morgan.edu/honorsprogram) from 01 January until 31 March of each academic year. Scholarship awards will commence in the Fall of the subsequent academic year and will be funded at the in-state rate for tuition.