Postdoctoral Fellow, Organic Chemistry, Ohio State University
Ph.D. Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
B.S. Chemistry, Spelman College, Atlanta, Georgia
Microwave synthesis of Near-IR heptamethine cyanine dyes,
Synthesis of 4-imidazolidinones
1) Characterization of the fluorescence lifetime and intensity changes of cyanine derivatives in various microenvironments,
2) Investigation of the microenvironmental changes and their ability to characterize the onset of cellular toxic events,
3) Development of pathogen biosensors.
Student Advising (Selected)
1. Student Research Development Coordinator - (2004 - present)
She organized and implemented the Summer Student Research Development Program. This program was designed to prepare summer students for poster presentations, writing research technical papers, and to integrate critical thinking skills into the NSF-RISE summer program. During the academic year she coordinates an average of 3 presentations per student at local and national conferences.
2. ACS Undergraduate Task Force (2008 - present)
She was recently appointed as a member of the ACS task force. Her duties include assisting with the undergraduate program at both ACS national conferences and in 2011will chair the undergraduate section of the Spring national meeting.
3. Faculty Advisor- NOBCChE - (2003 - 2007)
She serves as the faculty advisor for the newly formed National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers (NOBCChE) student chapter at Morgan State University. The mission of this chapter is to increase student participation in presenting at national conferences and the number of students conducting summer research. Under her guidance, a record sixteen students from MSU presented their research at the national conference in San Diego in 2004. MSU students claimed 1st -3rd and Honorable Mention in the poster competition and 1st in the Rohm and Haas oral competition.
4. Faculty -Summer Program in Chemistry - (Summer 2003)
The Department of Chemistry invited students in grades six to eight from Hazelwood Middle School to join them in a summer of instruction and scientific adventure in chemistry. She served as faculty instructor for the program. She instructed three pre-service teachers in basic chemistry concepts and how to infuse computer technology into their lesson plans.
- Winstead, A. "Undergraduate Research Based Independent Project: The Optimization of the Classic Diels-Alder Microwave Reaction" Chemical Educator, 2010, 15, 28-31.
- Winstead, A., Hijji, Y., Hart, K. 1-(5-carboxypentyl)-2,3,3-Trimethyl)-3H-Indolium Bromide. Acta Cryst. 2010, E66, o171-o172.
- Winstead, A.; Oyaghire, S. "1-(6-methoxy-6-oxohexyl)-4-methylquinolinium iodide", Molbank 2010, M647.
- Winstead, A.J., Hart, K., Fleming, N. Toney, D. Microwave Synthesis of Quaternary Ammonium Salts" Molecules, 2008, 13, 2107-2113.
- Winstead, A.J., Williams, R., Hart, K., Fleming, N., Kennedy, A. Microwave Synthesis of Near Infrared Heptamethine Cyanine Dye. The J. of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy. 2008, 42(1), 42-1-35 - 42-1-41.
- Winstead, A., Zhang, Y. "Inquiry-Based Laboratories in Undergraduate Research Development Program" 2008, 35th Annual NOBCChE Conference Procedings, Philadelphia, PA.
- Winstead, A. "Integrating Critical Thinking into Research" 2008, 35th Annual NOBCChE Conference Procedings, Philadelphia, PA.
- Winstead, A., Williams, R., Fleming, N., Kennedy, A. Microwave Synthesis of Near Infrared Heptamethine Cyanine Dyes. 2005, 39th Annual Microwave Symposium Proceedings, Seattle Washington. 87-90.
- Winstead, A. Scientific Communication. in Chemistry, November/December 2008, 23.
- Winstead, A., Williams, R., Fleming, N., Kennedy, A.; Hart, K. "Microwave Synthesis of Near Infrared Heptamethine Cyanine Dyes" 2008, International Microwave Power Institute, in press.
- Winstead, A., Williams, R., Fleming, N., Kennedy, A. "Microwave Synthesis of Near Infrared Heptamethine Cyanine Dyes" 2005, 39th Annual Microwave Symposium Procedings, Seattle Washington. 87-90.
- "Rational Design of Lipid for Membrane Protein Crystallization" Misquitta, J.; Cherezov, V.; Havas, F.; Patterson, S.; Mohan. J.M.; Wells, A.J.; Hart, D.J.; Caffrey. M. Journal of Structural Biology 2004, 148, 169.
- "Modular Approach to the Synthesis of Unsaturated 1-Monoacyl Glycerols" Coleman, B.E.; Cwynar, V.; Hart, D.J.; Havas F; Mohan JM; Patterson, S.; Ridenour S.; Schmidt, M.; Smith, E.; Wells, A.J. SYNLETT, 2004, 8, 1339.